10 Intelligent and Thought-Provoking Blogs You Should Be Reading
This Monday calls for a double dose of mental stimulation, don’t you think? Finish gulping down your coffee and get those eyes open, because I’ve got some splendiferous blogs to recommend that’ll catch your attention faster than the speed of light!
1. Biz Chick Blogs – Known as the “digital magazine for smart women,” editor Tia Peterson and the biz chicks blog about everything from business and social media to cooking and relationships. Although the topics often center around women’s issues, men will find plenty of reading material as well (and possibly answer that age-old question: “What do women want?”). Don’t expect to visit this blog without facing temptation to leave a ton of comments, though. I guarantee you’ll see several juicy posts to read and reply to on any given day!
2. Who’s Your Gladys? – Creators Marilyn Suttle and Lori Jo Vest understand the importance of customer service and they’re not afraid to blog about it. This insightful site offers a wealth of tips and real stories that customer service representatives and customers will find valuable. I’ve only been following the Who’s Your Gladys? blog for a short time and I’m hooked! And don’t worry: there’s a short video on this blog that explains who Gladys is and why you should care about her.
3. Keep Up with the Web – Sherryl Perry is no stranger to online brand building. Every time I visit this blog I learn something new, whether it’s on the subject of blogging, branding, or social media. Keep Up With the Web isn’t just a blog with a clever title; it’s both beneficial and satisfying to devour these weekly posts like candy. Plus, Sherryl has a highly-engaged readership which means there are all sorts of fascinating people to brainstorm with!
4. Britannica Blog – Yes, Encyclopedia Britannica has a blog. There’s never a shortage of intelligent posts here…I’ve been reading this blog for years and my morning wouldn’t be the same without the daily update email I get! You won’t find the same tired, recycled topics on the Britannica Blog but you will find a variety of thought-provoking posts about current events, historical moments, and scientific breakthroughs. There’s also a “Photo of the Day” that captures breathtaking moments in nature, history, travel, and more.
5. Copyblogger – This blog is the Holy Grail for writers and writer-types. The post titles are snappy, the copy is witty, and the presentation is blunt; I can’t get enough of the conversational tone and no-nonsense tips about writing, blogging, and business. I’ve read countless “how to” guides on Copyblogger that were riveting from start to finish, and we all know how rare that is!
6. Love Your Way – I’m not just saying this because they’re friends of mine, but engaged couple Lizzie and Isaiah really know how to make me think. This blog chronicles their journey from fiancées to newlyweds without the usual sap and fluff you see on couples’ blogs. There’s always a tasty tidbit to read and they have a variety of post series on subjects like marriage demons (my personal favorite), DIY projects, and geeking out. Oh, and did I mention they’re also kick-ass designers?
7. The Tanoshiboy Chronicles – Dennis Salvatier is a graphic designer and blogger who is on a mission to share his ideas with the world. His blog is rich with marketing advice and design inspiration, and readers can also feast their eyes on his original designs (both finished and unfinished). You don’t have to be a graphic expert to enjoy his posts, either…you only have to appreciate creativity!
8. IttyBiz – Naomi Dunford is rapidly becoming my new hero. If you’ve ever questioned yourself or your abilities, then I highly recommend scrolling through the blog archives on this site. She’ll smack you in the face with her marketing tips and branding knowledge and then force you to think about your own goals and fears. Be warned, though: Naomi won’t hesitate to sprinkle her posts with profanity to wake up your brain!
9. The Oatmeal – A delightful mixture of word-geekery and clever comics, The Oatmeal deserves all of the acclaim it receives. Matthew Inman, the mastermind behind this super-creative blog and website, illustrates his points with quirky graphics, wordplay, and irresistible topics that relate to anything and everything. Some may call it juvenile, but I call it brilliance. Nothing I say about this blog will do it justice, so just read it if you want to be entertained!
10. Bit Rebels – If geeks inherited the Earth, making this blog the required daily reading material would be our first prerogative. Bit Rebels will get you thinking about the latest in technology, social media, and design. Bloggers frequently reveal irresistible retro designs, game and movie inspired do-it-yourself projects, and geek-inspired gifts for that special someone. There’s even a dose of steampunk for anyone who can’t live without it. You won’t want to miss this one if you call yourself a nerd of any kind.
So that’s my piece. All ten of these blogs are worthy of your time and attention, so get your butt in gear and start reading if you like to expand your mind (and your brand)!
Have you read any of these blogs on my list? Do you have a favorite blog or blogs that you’d like to share?
All images in this post are property of the respective blog owners. All rights reserved.
Jill has been obsessed with words since her fingers could turn the pages of a book. She’s a hopeless bibliophile who recently purchased a Kindle after almost 6 years of radical opposition, and she loves stumbling upon new music on Pandora. Random interests include (but are not limited to) bookstores, movie memorabilia, and adorable rodents. Jill writes for the QLP blog and assists with the company’s social media accounts. You can connect with Jill on Google+.