Other Lessons in This Course
- How to Choose the Right Pen
- How do You Choose a Promotional Product?
- Perfect Giveaways with Our Promo Checklist!
- 10 of the Most Popular Promotional Products
- How Many Promotional Products Should I Order?
- Budget Promos with a Punch!
- 10 Promotional Products Sure to Fail!
- Custom vs. Standard Stress Balls
- Beware of Budget Pens!
- The Different Types of Water Bottles
- How to Choose the Right Pen
- How to Choose the Right Tote Bag
From jotting down a grocery list to writing a check, chances are you’ll need a pen handy throughout the day. Of course, the best pens are ones that don’t clump up while writing or spring a leak in your pants pocket or purse. You want your pen to be convenient, comfortable to hold, and work well for many writing projects to come.
With so many options, how do you pick the right pen to promote your brand? What should you consider before you buy? Let’s take a look at promotional pens!
Why Advertise with Pens?
Pens are the perfect writing utensil to use as promotional products because they’re affordable, useful, and get passed around a lot.
Aside from being mobile billboards, pens can be unique or have multiple uses. Whether you want to handout sleek, professional pens, or quirky, memorable ones, you’re sure to find a pen useful.
Pick the Right Style
You don’t have to settle for any old pen. You can find one that matches your brand’s personality or profession. You can even pick a range of multiuse pens that will stand out to your customers.
Professional vs. Ordinary
Pens are used every day, but there are pens that look more professional than others. The pen you choose depends on your target audience. Are you handing out pens to new clients or to new business partners? It’s important to keep your audience in mind when choosing a pen.
You have four options:
High-quality pens are made from metals, such as aluminum and brass, or leather. These will likely be used during business meetings or important contract signings, such as buying a home.
These pens are simple in design and can be found behind someone’s ear or attached to a notebook. You can expect this type of pen to be used every day and by anyone.
Unique and Memorable
Pens are very popular giveaway items. Try to stand out by picking out a pen that’s unforgettable. There are pens shaped like syringes, paintbrushes, or corn on the cob, and even silly pens with hair.
Digital or Eco-friendly
Following trends is never a bad idea. Digital devices and being environmentally friendly isn’t going to disappear anytime soon. When choosing a pen, you can decide whether your customers will appreciate a recycled pen or find use in a pen equipped with a stylus.
What You Should Know Before You Buy Custom Pens
When it comes to selecting a promotional pen, there are a few things you should know before you finalize your purchase.
- Budget: Pens have a wide variety of prices that can fit any budget. Beware of low-quality pens though, sometimes you get what you pay for.
- Time Frame: How quickly do you need your pens? You might also want to keep your pen choice simple and stay clear of complex designs since they might take longer to process.
- Minimum Quantities: Since pens are small and affordable, their minimum quantities are usually much higher than other products. The good news is that every style pen is going to have a different minimum and you can search by the quantity you need.
- Features: With over a thousand different pens to choose from, filter what you’re looking for by feature. You can find a pen based on price, ink color, material, and so much more.
- Pen Type: There are 6 different pen types, including markers and highlighters. Each type of pen is going to have a different writing style. Ballpoint pens work best for quick, fast writing, whereas fountain pens have thinner ink that can smear easily.
You can find a sleek, leather pen for your top clients or a memorable giveaway that everyone will love. Overall, you’ll want to pick an option that meets your budget, arrives on time with the desired amount needed, and has the features you want.
Pens are small and slim, meaning they have a much smaller imprint area compared to other promotional items. If you have a big logo or want a lot of information on a promo item, then a pen might not be a good choice.
Keep things simple when using a promotional pen. If your logo is too detailed, it might be best to go with a text-only option and include a piece of contact info, like a phone number or website instead. You can also add a tiny icon by searching through the thousands of images available in our Free Clipart Library. Even though pens are small, making the most of its imprint area will leave a lasting impression.
The imprint area affects your logo, the information you put on the pen, and if you aren’t careful, too much will make the area look cluttered and messy. Pens do best when the design is only one color. Since the area is so small, multiple colors may blend together and become unreadable.
When you decide on a design, it’s recommended to use easy-to-see colors for the imprint. Colors like, red, purple, or orange might be harder to see than colors like black or white. Whatever color you pick, you want to make sure your logo or information pops!
Your logo or design should always be legible. That’s why Sans Serif font is recommended on pen orders. This ensures that all of the text will print as sharp as possible and minimize any issues with the ink blending together during the printing process.
Here are the most common fonts and their size minimums:
Font Size: 6 pts
Font Size: 8 pts
Times New Roman
Font Size: 12 pts
Script MT Bold
• Sans Serif
• 6 pts
• 8 pts
• 12 pts
• Times New Roman
• Script MT Bold
While the color of the pen might not seem important, it’s another part of the pen that’s customizable and can further represent your brand. Since the imprint area is small and your logo might not fit onto the pen’s body, choosing your business’ color is a great finishing touch.
The Bottom Line
From tradeshow giveaways to promotional events, pens are a great choice to promote your brand. They’re affordable, customizable, and useful items that can be used anytime, anywhere.
Kyrsten is an adventurous Copywriter at Quality Logo Products. She's a fan of language and history, and loves discovering new information and how it relates to the promotional world. If you need her, you'll find her with her nose stuck in a book, on a quest to learn something new, or planning her next adventure.